Sunday, April 14, 2024

14.04.2024, Haifa, ii

So, last night, while Iran was sending us suicide drones and ballistic missiles, I was hiding out next to our bomb shelter, with one of the sweetest guys I've ever met, Samir Khoury. 

Yes, Samir is an Arab.

Yes, I am a Jew.

No, it wasn't awkward, or weird, or tense. Samir did everything in his power to distract me from what was going on, (not that I was particularly freaked out, but Samir is a good host.)

He made us good Arabic coffee, and gave me his penultimate cigarette, which refused to stay lit for some reason, so I kept asking for his lighter. 

"Stop asking," he said, "you aren't a guest, just say 'give me fire'", so I did. 

When it was time for the "all clear" around 4 this morning, I began picking up the glass cups, with their layers of mud in the bottom, to wash. 

"What are you doing? You don't have to wash them, just leave them, I'll take care of them" he said.

"Hey, " I answered, "stop treating me like a guest."

"Ok, so maybe you do the rest of the dishes in the sink?"

"What do I look like, your maid?" 

People in the West seem incapable of imagining any world where we, Jews and Arabs live side by side, and not only appreciate one another's company, but genuinely love one another like family, and yet, this is as much a reality as the other extreme, and a far preferable one at that. 

Did I mention that Samir is my landlord, by the way?  

One of the most frustrating aspects of the protestors in the West is that they are so intent on spreading this narrative that we are natural enemies, that the animosity is an inevitable result of us mixing, but it's not. Not everything in this world is friction.  

Had one of Ali Khameini's missiles gotten through to Haifa this morning, Samir and I could have died together; same fate, Arab and Jew, both of us Israelis, equal under the law. 

Like I said in a previous post, there are many sociocultural problems here, and yes, there is racism, (show me someplace where there isn't!) and yes, we need to work on it. And we are. Stop trying to divide us, to drag us backwards.

No comments: