Monday, July 31, 2023

17.04.2014

An old piece I wrote many years ago. 

.....


G


You were

snail paced walks round the

Botanical Gardens, 

creeping cacti and 

     alien orchids–

unlikely as painted plastic

You were

Intimate coffees 

on Broadway 

& on 9th Street

Trepidation and excitement at the thought you might touch my arm

You were 

a thoughtful gift 

from Trader Joe's:

chocolate covered potato chips I'd once proclaimed should be covered by Obamacare 

But you were also 

A party-size, blue bag of

Cool Ranch Doritos

eaten numbly 

by the handful,

Stuffing down hurt as I

Stuffed them down my throat,  

in my car, parked on Park Avenue South

and

You were 

my regret:

a failed test for my 

fledgling boundaries

and a mistake from which 

I'll do my best not to learn.

No comments: