Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Triptych #3 18.01.2023

 I

The hell with your false bravado

Your obligatory resilience bores me to death

Show me instead, your

Soft wounds, open hand

Show me the stubbornness of your trust

And I will open to you like a tasty wound.


II

A broken bone, improperly healed 

Must be rebroken to reset correctly

I break myself open

One hundred times a day

I'll never heal correctly—

I make certain of it.

This is my demonstration

Against your bloody bootstrap imperative

I hoisted my sign the first time at thirteen, lying half unconscious beneath the 

Head cheerleader's mother's tire

They said I might lose the foot

Instead, I gained a gentle new thing 

Softness can be stubborn too.


III

Carrie: 

Each time I think of your last days in that horrible bed 

I'm haunted by your blue hands

Toward the end, they'd tied them down so you couldn't extubate yourself. 

The finality came, your stone hand in mine, I watched your chest heave 

Artificially

Long after the screen told me that your heart had stopped.

No comments: