Monday, January 09, 2023

09.01.2023 II

How often I want to ask you

Could you love me

Could you do

What I need you to do? 

Could you stand beside me while I dance this daily danse macabre

Could you abide me even as I rob 

From you your afternoon light? 


The hydrangea with which I've bedecked my mantle

Arrived already dead

Not wilted but crisp and warm brown in their winter sleep

A bit like me

This "elegant skeleton" who

Stands here before you, still

Possessed of beauty in my place between the worlds, asking

Could you love me? Could you

Love me loving you? Could you

Tend to my grave after I've passed through? 

Could you adore this thing that insists to cling

To sides of cliffs

Stubborn goat

Who- all too aware the narrow ground is 

Even now crumbling beneath her cloven hooves?

Who refuses her place in the Ridiculous parade for 

Those vainglorious warriors who maintain 

Some futile hope against entropy—


Could you love me? 

Could you accept me loving you? 

Could you even 

Dance with me, or simply bang the 

Timpani while I do what I do?

No comments: